Spouses & Dependants

There are two main types of spousal sponsorships. It is best to consult counsel as to which type of sponsorship to choose, as there are pluses and minuses to both options.  In both cases, you will need to qualify as a sponsor first. 

A sponsor must be:

  • 18 years of age or older;
  • a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
  • residing in Canada. If you are a Canadian citizen not residing in Canada, it is still possible to sponsor your spouse, but you will have to provide additional information.

There are two other types of spousal sponsorships:

Common-Law Partner

You can sponsor a person as your common-law partner if:

  • That person is of the opposite or same sex; and
  • You and your partner have lived together in a conjugal relationship for a period of at least one year.

Conjugal Partner

This category is intended for partners of Canadian sponsors who would ordinarily apply as:

  • Common-law partners but cannot meet the definition, that is they were not able to live together continuously for one year with their sponsor; or
  • Spouses, but marriage to their sponsor is usually not an available option to them, usually because of marital status or sexual orientation, combined with an immigration barrier (for example, rules preventing partner and sponsor visiting in one another’s countries).

In addition to your spouse you may also sponsor a

Dependant Child

As of October 2017, a dependent child must be under 22 years old. For sponsorship purposes, a dependent child may be your own child or those of the person you are sponsoring. In order to include them in the application, they must:

  • Be under the age of 22 and not a spouse or common-law partner; or
  • Have depended substantially on the financial support of a parent since before the age of 19 and unable to provide for themselves due to a medical condition.

Once you have been approved as a sponsor, the person or persons you are sponsoring will have their application assessed.

We have over 50 years of experience in representing clients from over 70 countries.  We have an excellent reputation at the Board, and are certified as Immigration Specialists by The Law Society of Upper Canada.  Our success is as a result of thorough preparation for each case

Please note that if you are applying for permanent residence in Canada, you must declare all of your family members. There are no exceptions to the requirement to declare all family members.

In addition, all family members must be examined as part of the process of applying for permanent residence in Canada, even if they will not come to Canada with the principal applicant.

Family members who are not declared and examined are excluded from the family class, which means that they cannot be sponsored by you at a later date. Permanent residents who did not declare all their family members on their application may also be subject to enforcement proceedings that could lead to the loss of permanent resident status.

December 4, 2019
Eisenberg Law New Site is Live

Howard P. Eisenberg has been practising immigration law since 1989.  He is one of only 15 lawyers in the province of Ontario who are certified by the Law Society of Ontario as Specialists in both Citizenship & Immigration Law and Refugee Protection. On December 1, 2019 the office name officially changed to Eisenberg law.  We […]

Read More